Is romantic love a good basis for marriage? Discuss

Before I begin the discussion, I must express my thoughts toward the concept of love. For most people love is considered an emotion, a mental state that arises spontaneously rather than through conscience effortto others love can be considered a choice, a conscience effort. Personally, I believe love is an emotion that individuals choose to act on or ignore. The evidence that drives my belief is how we categorize our love for different people. I understand people would argue it is not really love if you are choosing to “be with” someone. The topic itself would imply there are different types of love; I believe it takes a conscience effort to place people in different categories of love. 
The next question I must answer is what is marriage? Is marriage just a union between two individuals who love each other? Or, has marriage evolved into something different? Like love, marriage means something different to each individual. The type of love tends to lay the groundwork for the type of marriage. People are getting married for reasons other than love now. I wouldn’t recommend a marriage based on one concept, I would consider other things in my decision to marry. 
Romance is an important trait to have with a mate, but I would argue there are other things that need to be establish on top of romance. All marriages are not ending like Tigers marriage ended.  Few divorces are ending due to lack of romantic love, I would argue romance is a skill that a partner can pick up and develop throughout the marriage.  
In my opinion Romantic love is a poor basis for a marriage. I argue that Romance is a skill that can be developed and enhanced over time. Marriage is a decision that needs to be made looking at more aspects than just the love you are feeling at the moment, people should be looking at assuring areas that can lead to divorce. Tigers said recently, “nobody goes into marriage looking to get divorced”, I think if you aren’t recognizing those issues that can lead to divorce you are looking to get divorced.   
Now if romance is the most important thing to an individual than I can understand how romance is a basis for a marriage. However, I would like to ask anyone who would prefer a marriage based on romantic love, how long will romance last when there is friction? I want to make sure we are compatible in a lot of areas before I get into a lifelong commitment. Theoretically if romantic love was all you need, almost all marriages could occur within the first 2 months when relationships are the easiest. 
BY  VINOD A/L N.RAJANDRAN 15976 GROUP 15

Comments :

0 comments to “Is romantic love a good basis for marriage? Discuss”

Post a Comment